Short curriculum vitae of Asst. Prof. Dr. Sherwan Sharif Qurtas (Soran University president).
Full name: "Sherwan Sharif Qurtas".
Date of birth: 1/7/1975.
Certificate and Qualification
In 1998, he received a bachelor's degree in Geology at Salahaddin University.
In 2005, he received a master's degree in Hydrology from UNESCO- IHE- Delft, Netherlands.
In 2014, he obtained PhD. in Geology and Hydrobiology from Salahaddin University.
Scientific Title: Assistant Professor.
Further, he is interested in researching in the following fields:
Hydrobiology, Hydrology, Geology and Environmental Engineering.
He has held several management posts after receiving his degree, his the most prominent of which are:
- Managing the English Department at the College of Education - Salahaddin University (2007-2008).
- Head of the English Language Department at the College of Education- Salahaddin University (2008-2009).
- Consultant at ECG - Contract Company with Kurdistan Regional Government (2011).
- Head of Geography Department in the Faculty of Arts-Soran University (2011-2015).
- Head of the Petroleum Geoscience of the Faculty of Science-Soran University (2015-2018).
- Dean of the Faculty of Engineering-Soran University (2018-2021).
He has worked in the governmental and private sector due to his experience in water science from 1998 to 2021, whether as a teacher, a consultant, or as an updated specialist in his field, as follows:
- 1998-2000, Hydrological Assistant: Shanader LNGO; digging wells and water supply sector - KRG.
- 2000-2001, Hydrological Assistant: UN-FAO, well-digging sector, Erbil.
- 2002-2002, Hydrologist: UN-Habitat; well-digging sector, Erbil.
- 2003-2004, Supervisor of the main un-FAO stores – the Ministry of Agriculture, Documenting and Receiving Goods under Article 986 of the UN.
- 2011-2011, Consultant: ECG - contracting company with the KRG and UNICEF. Erbil Waste Management Master Plan, Erbil.
- 2006-2014, Assistant Professor; - Soran University, Erbil.
- 2014-2018, Lecturer at Soran University-Faculty of Arts, Education, and Science.
This is in addition to the conferences and meetings of water, water supplies and underground water, as well as subjects related to the environment, as special experts are invited to give their opinions.
A proficient speaker of Kurdish, Arabic, and English languages.
QURTAS, Sherwan Sh.. Using groundwater levels and Specific Yield to Estimate the Recharge, South of Erbil, Kurdistan Region, Iraq. Academic Journal of Nawroz University, [S.l.], v. 7, n. 4, p. 191-196, dec. 2018. ISSN 2520-789X. Available at: <https://journals.nawroz.edu.krd/index.php/ajnu/article/view/289>. Date accessed: 11 nov. 2020. doi: https://doi.org/10.25007/ajnu.v7n4a289.
Qurtas, S. S., & Hashemi, H. (2018). Spatial and temporal distribution of natural ponds, using GIS and remote sensing, Northeast of Iraq. Cogent Geoscience, 4(1), 1541496. https://doi.org/10.1080/23312041.2018.1541496.
Hameed HM, Faqe G Rasul, Qurtas S Sharif, Hashem H (2015) Impact of Urban growth on groundwater levels using remote sensing—case study: Erbil City, Kurdistan Region of Iraq. IISTE Nat Sci Res 5(18):72–84.
Howri Mansurbeg, Sadoon Morad, Mohammad Al Suwaidi, Sherwan Qurtas, Ole Gunnar Tveiten, Salahaddin Shahrokhizadeh, Farkhondeh Kiani Harchegani, Meteoric-water incursion into marine turbditic sandstones: Evidence from the Andrew Formation (Paleocene), UK Central Graben, North Sea, Marine and Petroleum Geology, Volume 118, 2020,104428, ISSN 0264-8172, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpetgeo.2020.104428.
Moreover, during his academic life, as a hydrological expert, he participated in tens of scientific conferences, symposiums, courses and academic activists inside and outside the country.